Why Come to SF State's Public Administration Program?
The degree that lasts...
- Nationally accredited M.P.A. degree (by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)
- Ranked 1st or 2nd among all CSU MPA programs in the last three public affairs rankings by the U.S. News and World Report; ranked 5th MPA program in California and 23rd among all Western MPA programs
- Has competitive admissions and highly qualified students from a wide variety of work settings and interests
- SFSU faculty are nationally known scholars who have work experience in the public and nonprofit sectors and are actively involved in research and applications at the cutting edge of public administration.
- Faculty take seriously the teaching mission of the California State University system and focus upon innovative and creative teaching methods in their classrooms.
- Faculty work to incorporate SFSU’s urban mission into the educational experience by including project-based learning activities that benefit many Bay Area public and nonprofit agencies.
- The MPA provides a sound foundation of core competencies, knowledge and skills--- then builds upon those with complete flexibility for a student to design their elective emphasis to meet their own career needs and goals.
- Provides an interdisciplinary education in public administration-- incorporating public administration itself, political science, public policy, economics, and organizational psychology, among other disciplines.
- Special emphases on the development of writing, oral presentation, and team work skills
- Contains the intellectual and practical content needed to prepare students to work in today’s world and in the organizations of the future
Strong learning outcome assessment efforts show us that our students are learning and succeeding in the field of public administration
- Located in downtown San Francisco among a wide variety of local, state, federal and regional government agencies and numerous nonprofit organizations
- Located right on the Pacific Rim with quick access to Asia, Southeast Asia and Australia
- Now located conveniently in downtown San Francisco in the new SF State Downtown Campus at the Westfield Center (site of the historic Emporium Building)-- located directly over the Powell Street BART and Muni Stations-- convenient to San Francisco, Alameda, Marin and San Mateo Counties
- The Department of Public Administration is attuned to the needs of the adult working student in deliverying courses at conveninent times and formats
- The Department of Public Administration sponsors a wide variety of activities for students, who can use these to network with fellow students and MPA alums. These include social events, guest speakers, career development workshops, alumni brown bags, community service events, special events for commencement as well as others
- Pi Alpha Alpha Honorary Society -- the public administration national honorary society is available to students with outstanding academic records
Alumni and Other Resources
- The Department of Public Administration and SF State have a wide network of MPA and university alumni who can help students build their professional networks
- San Francisco State University and the Downtown Campus have the computer and other resources necessary to provide public administration students with the training necessary to succeed in today’s rapidly changing public sector environment.