Onsite Career RecruitmentThe MPA program is proud to have strong relationships with many Bay Area employers in public service. Some of these employers regularly recruit MPA graduates at San Francisco State, including the US Government Accountability Office and Deloitte.
For those interested in local government careers, the MPA program is in partnership with San Mateo County to offer the San Mateo County Management Fellowship. This 1 to 3 year full-time fellowship is an excellent opportunity to launch a career in local government and prepare for management positions in the future.
Information on all career recruitment activities are sent to students as they are available, through the jobs listserv. To subscribe to the listserve, go here
- Workshops: The Public Administration has Career Development workshops every semester (usually 3): a skills workshop (Improving Your Resume, Doing Interviews), a workshop hosting alums in a particular kind of public service work talking about their area of specialization (nonprofit Executive Directors, Human Resources Managers), and one other (Getting a Job in SF, Roundtable on Time Management. Look for flyers about these events.
- Faculty Advising: Students should feel free to discuss career options and career planning with faculty advisors in their area.
- SF State Career Center: The SF State Career Center has many resources to assist students in finding jobs and building skills in this area.
Job and Career Building Sites
- ABAG Globe (Government Listing Of Bay Area Employment)
- America's Job Bank
- State of California's listing of job classifications
- California State University Employment Board
- Government Jobs listing
- Nonprofit Job Board
- Peace Corps jobs
- State jobs
- Federal Jobs
- U.S. Federal Agencies