Click here for important information and instructions on using the new CalState Apply online application system.
The deadline for Spring 2018 admissions is November 1, 2017. The deadline for Fall 2018 admissions is April 1, 2018. Students applying to San Francisco State University and to the Department of Public Administration should be aware of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School of San Francisco State University, the relevant deadlines for admission, Graduate School Admissions policies and Graduate Division forms. Please be aware of the Graduate Division and their requirements as well as general information about graduate education at San Francisco State University.
Steps to Admission
1. Apply online through Cal State Apply. The Office of Graduate Admissions no longer accepts paper applications to graduate programs.
Submit the following materials by uploading them to the Cal State Apply online application:
- Your current resume.
- Unofficial transcripts from all the universities you have attended.
- Statement of purpose to the SF State MPA Program. This statement of purpose should describe the following information in a coherent essay (in no more four pages, double spaced):
- Life experiences that have led you to an interest in public service (public or nonprofit)
- Background in the public service, including any work or volunteer experience you might have in public or nonprofit agencies
- Areas of specific interests in the public service, including what has led you to these specific interests
- Career and professional goals and aspiration
- How the MPA degree will be helpful and consistent with your career goals and aspirations
- Why this is the right time in your career to come into a MPA program and seek the degree
- Why the SF State MPA degree program is a good fit for you and your career / professional goals
2. Pay the 55.00 USD application fee. We recommend that you pay online by credit card at the moment you submit your application.
3. For Spring 2018 admission, submit the following materials directly to the Public Administration Program: Two (2) letters of recommendation. These should be from individuals who know the candidate well and can address their potential for succeeding in graduate school. The letters do not have to be from faculty members at an academic institution, they can be from supervisors or others familiar with the candidate's work. For Fall 2018 and beyond, follow the instructions in CalState Apply.
The program's admission committee begins to review completed application files after the admission deadline. The program does not do rolling admissions. You will be able to log in with you SFSU ID and password to check on your admission status with the Graduate Division. Once a decision is made regarding your application, you will receive a letter from the Graduate Division.
Pre-Requisites to the M.P.A. degree:
- There are no longer prerequisites for Admission into the SF State MPA degree program.